Saturday 27 July 2013

EXTERMICAKE! EXTERMICAKE!



It's a bit messy in places (I had some issues with buttercream squishing out the bottom of the head piece) but I'm still pretty happy with this. I think if I had to make it again I could easily iron out any problems.

So how was it done? Well, I baked a giant cupcake, inverted the base and torted it. I then baked a 5" x 4" sponge. I trimmed a little of the side of that to make it wedge shaped, and then took the cut offs and stuck them to the front of the inverted cupcake to make the Dalek shape. I inserted dowels into the cupcake and then put the smaller cake on a 5" board and placed it on top. I covered the lot in buttercream and fondant. Then I put dowels in the top tier and put the head on top. The head was made of two cake round and the top of the giant cupcake. I cut them to size with a cookie cutter and covered in buttercream and fondant.

The studs on the body are silver buttons from www.ukweddingfavours.co.uk They were attached with edible glue. The... what on earth do you call them? the eye? the plunger? the twiddly bit? I wrapped fondant around skewers to make them.

Perfect for any 36 year old brother, especially if he's been drinking wine before he sees it (Happy birthday Pete!)

No comments:

Post a Comment